Sending a message to your class
Contacting your class
There are two main methods for contacting an entire class (or a subset of your class):
- Moodle messaging (which forwards to email)
You can send email to your class using the class list on my.converse.edu, or by constructing a list of students manually. Both methods are beyond the scope of the Moodle@Converse course.
If you send a message using Moodle messaging, it will be sent to the email of any student not currently logged in to Moodle (which is the usual case). In addition, the next time each student logs in to Moodle, the student will get the message as a popup box.
Moodle messaging thus has two advantages over straight email:
- If the student's email address doesn't work or has a hyperactive spam trap, she will still see the message the next time she logs in to Moodle.
- By visiting the student's profile, you can verify that in fact the message was delivered to her within Moodle. This is helpful when students overlook a message and then claim that this is your fault.
How to send a message?
To send a message to one or a group of your students from within Moodle, do the following:
- Go to your course.
- Click the menu button in the upper left to open the nav drawer
- Below the name of your course in the nav drawer, the top link will be Participants. Click that link.
- You will be taken to a list of the participants (students
and professors) in your course. To the left of each name is
a checkbox. Either:
- Go to the bottom of the list and click the button marked "Select all”, or
- Click the individual checkboxes for the people you want to send your message to.
- At the bottom of the list is a dropdown box labeled "With selected users...” Choose "Send a message”.
- You'll be taken to a page with a text box where you can type your message. Enter and edit your message.
- When you're satisfied with the message, click the "Preview” button below the text box.
- If the preview doesn't look right, click "Update”. You'll be taken back to the preceding page, where you can fix it and click "Preview” again.
- If the preview looks right, click "Send message”. You will be asked if you really want to send the message to all those users; confirm that you do, and the message will be sent.